Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Gavin and autism testing

Gavin WAS diagnosed with autism when we did the evaluation a couple of weeks ago. Shhhh...it's a secret though. Really, we're not telling people. A FEW select people know, and not even all of our family knows, and that's the way we want it.
We don't completely agree with the diagnosis (for more than one reason, one of which is the fact that they diagnosed him on the basis of assuming he was language delayed, when 3 other speech evaluators had told us within a month of the diagnosis that he wasn't delayed for expressive language now. I figure, if they're wrong even on that, I certainly don't believe anything else that they decide. Second, they expected him to do things as far as a 24 month old would do, forgetting about the fact that we've taught him to SAY things instead of just looking at people to convey his requests. For example, they wanted him to look at them to request continuing a fun activity. They didn't know that we've taught him to say "more" or "again, please", and he's said this for months now. BUT, according to the developmental age they evaluated him at (24 months for expressive language, i.e., what he actually says vs what he understands), they expect 24 month old kids to look at a person to continue a fun activity. SO, I have a real problem with them evaluating him at a younger age, when 3 other people had told us within the last month before he went for his autism evaluation that he was caught up as far as expressive language. Like I said, if they got that wrong (I got with majority rules--3 against 1? The 3 wins.), I don't believe other stuff they decide. When their language score affects what they expect him to do, I think that affected the diagnosis. Plus, they said he was language delayed, but I think they forget about the fact that preemies don't tend to be completely caught up by age 2, which also affected some of their diagnosis.
So, I think we're going to wait 1-2 years, then get him tested again. And it WON'T be at that place again. Terry mentioned that he thought they were quite condescending there. I have to agree, but it's unusual for Terry to say things like that, so I figure it wasn't just me that had a problem with them!
Anyway, remember, we're not telling people about the diagnosis. First, because we don't know if it will "stick" when we get him re-tested. Second, we don't want people treating him differently because of the diagnosis, and some people will. Even some family members will. So please, don't tell people.

No comments:

Post a Comment