Today for lunch, I gave Gavin pretzel sticks, yogurt melts, juice and apple slices. For my snack, I took out a blueberry muffin that Terry had bought me a few days ago (pack of 4.) I put a little bit next to Gavin's plate, and poked a pretzel stick through the tiny bite of muffin. Gavin saw it, and put it in his mouth to taste. He then picked up a couple more bites of muffin to eat. WOW! Gavin NEVER eats anything as soft as a muffin! He started dipping his pretzel sticks into his juice too...reminds me of someone dipping a doughnut into their coffee or something. After he got up, he still had a pretzel stick, so was running around carrying that, and got out one of his favorite toys--the bag of multiflavor (and multicolor) mini marshmallows. Normally he just likes carrying them around and squishing them occasionally, but this time he did spear one with his pretzel stick and ate a bite. Not sure he liked it so much, but he did try it willingly, and it didn't kill him! Like I said before, Gavin never eats anything soft like that. Maybe he's getting over his texture problem all on his own?
Last night he found some french fries downstairs (from a few days ago), and started eating those. Again, normally he never likes french fries because even though they're crunchy outside, they're soft inside. But of course, if these were a few days old, they were probably hard all the way through. However, now that he's tried them and decided they were good, MAYBE, just maybe, we can get him to try them again when they're fresh. Maybe I can give him sweet potato fries, and he and Daddy can have french fries together. (Normally I don't make fries for us to eat, since they're something that I can't really have. So, Terry usually goes without them at home, if he wants some, he has them during the day at work.)
The other day, I made some wagon wheels pasta for Gavin, and he actually picked a couple up and took bites out of them. Not big bites, but that's a huge step for someone who normally won't touch pasta because he doesn't like how it feels! Terry had bought them to try with Gavin, since Gavin is obsessed with wheels, and I guess it works. It's the first piece of pasta he's tried willingly! And not once, not twice, but 3 times! (Granted, he wouldn't try any the next day, but maybe we're getting somewhere occasionally.)
Anyway, my little boy is experimenting with "non-preferred" foods this week at least. YAY Gavin! I can tell from watching him that it takes a lot of courage for him to try those soft foods, so he's being really brave trying them all on his own. I'm extremely proud of him!
No comments:
Post a Comment